History repeats itself: the global demand for food keeps increasing every year, fuelled by factors such as the increasing food scarcity and rapid degradation of natural resources, a phenomenon accelerated by climate change that results in more extreme conditions for crop growth. Achieving sustainable agriculture based on innovation is one of the main challenges of the agrifood sector, and biostimulants can contribute to reaching this goal.
LIDA, present in 31 countries
LIDA Plant Research is now present in 31 countries, with a consolidated position in Spain. It has expanded worldwide by boosting its presence in Europe, Latin America and the Middle East, as well as on the Asian and American markets.
“The current situation and the specific conditions of the sector are two key factors when looking to expand to a new country, but we believe expansion is necessary for our company to keep growing and we are prepared for the challenges it entails,” saidRicardo Villuendas, International Business Manager, who also emphasised LIDA Plant’s commitment to helping countries with fewer resourcesbut a high agricultural potential.
Uso de los bioestimulantes de LIDA en Brazil, the USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Algeria, Tunisia and Greece.
It is worth highlighting that by the end of 2020, LIDA’s biostimulant products had been very well received in Brazil, the USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Algeria, Tunisia and Greece. The lists below describe the company’s biostimulant products, and the products used and the crops benefitting from their application in each country.
According to Juanjo Serra, Regulatory Affairs Manager at LIDA Plant Research, the European Commission is working hard on issues related to the new European fertiliser regulation, which will come into force on 16 July 2022. “The bodies in charge of assessing conformity of the new fertilising products placed on the market as from that date are yet to be designated,” Serra explained, “and the criteria that some component material categories must meet to be used in fertilisers need to be established.”
Serra also added that, at EBIC (European Biostimulants Industry Council), AEFA (Spanish Agricultural Nutrients Manufacturers Association) and other Spanish and European associations, “we are collaborating with the European Commission to provide criteria and solutions to all the issues that are being raised”.
The Valencia-based biotechnological company LIDA Plant Research is consolidating its position as a world reference in the new vision that science offers in terms of crop protection. “LIDA is now successfully exporting its biostimulants worldwide, with a high degree of satisfaction from crop growers, who provide us with very useful information to improve and perfect our biostimulants even further,” declared Serra.
- Rental: Fast-acting biostimulant that improves microbiological and physicochemical soil conditions.
- Lidavital: Root growth promoter. Named RADIX on the Algerian market, RADSTIM in Tunisia and Vitalroot in USA.
- Lidafol KL: Fruit ripening promoter. Named DELTAQUIN on the Algerian market.
- Neostren Forte: Biostimulant aimed at correcting skin disorders due to poor calcium assimilation.
- Agristren Plus: Optimizes the osmotic potential of cells. Maintains the plant’s growth rate under water stress conditions.
- Lidafol PL: Flowering enhancer. Named FOLIXDAN on the Algerian market.
- Talocuper: Nutrition and protection product formulated with copper, with a specific action. Named FUNGICHEL on the Algerian market.
- Algamix: Natural extract of the seaweed Ascophyllum nodosum. Named CITOQUIN MIX on the Algerian market.
- Primarenc: Biostimulant of defences against thermal stress. Named PRIMAX on the Algerian market.
Biostimulants used and crops treated in each country:
- Brazil: In this country, tomatoes benefit from applications of Lidafol KL, Lidafol PL, Algamix and Primarenc.
- United States: In the USA, the recommended biostimulants for berries and fruit trees areLidavital, Lidafol KL, Talocuper and Vitalroot.
- Mexico: LIDA has more than 20 years’ experience on the Mexican market, and applications of Lidavital, Lidafol KL, Lidafol PL, Talocuper, Algamix and Primarenc have achieved optimal yields of avocados, table grapes, rice, peanuts, soy, melons, watermelons, tomatoes, pineapples and papayas.
- Costa Rica: Lidavital, Lidafol KL, Agristren Plus, Lidafol PL, Algamix and Primarenc are recommended for pineapples, tomatoes, courgettes, melons, watermelons, bananas and coffee. Talocuper is recommended for rice and horticultural crops.
- Nicaragua: Rental, Lidavital, Lidafol KL, Neostren Forte, Agristren Plus, Lidafol PL, Talocuper and Algamix are used for horticultural crops. Good results are also seen when these products are used for tobacco, coffee, rice, avocados and bananas.
- Guatemala: In this country, Lidavital, Lidafol Kl, Lidafol PL, Talocuper, Algamix and Primarenc are used for horticultural crops as well as bananas, avocadoes, coffee, rice and tobacco.
- Algeria: In Algeria, RADIX is used for horticultural crops, fruit trees, melons and watermelons; Lidafol KL for stone fruit trees, table grapes, potatoes, tomatoes, peanuts, melons and watermelons; Neostren Forte for citrus and fruit trees; FOLIXDAN for fruit trees, citrus trees and greenhouse horticultural crops; FUNGICHEL for table grapes, potatoes and citrus trees; ALGAVER for fruit trees, citrus trees, potatoes and peanuts.
- Tunisia: In Tunisia, crops have benefitted from the use of: RADSTIM, for horticultural crops (melons, watermelons, tomatoes, strawberries, lettuce, courgettes) and citrus trees; Agristren Plus for fruit trees during the growth stage, when temperatures are high and relative humidity is low in the summer; and Talocuper for all types of fruit and citrus trees.
- Greece: Lidavital for greenhouse tomatoes; Lidafol KL for table grapes, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and strawberries; Neostren Forte for broccoli, lettuce, table grapes and tomatoes; Lidal PL for citrus trees, peppers, tomatoes and strawberries; Talocuper for citrus trees and greenhouse horticultural crops; Algamix for cereal, kiwi and horticultural crops; and Primarenc for tomatoes, cucumbers, melons and watermelons.
Without a doubt, these products can contribute to socioeconomic development, promote innovation and help improve human health.